Professor Seyyed Hossein Nasr is one of the world's leading experts on science and spirituality in Islamic World. He was born in Tehran, Iran, on April 7, 1933. He received his education in Iran and the United States and graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University.
He returned to Iran in 1958 and was professor at Tehran University until 1979. In addition to teaching at Tehran University, he served as Dean of the Faculty of Letters and Vice Chancellor of the University and Chancellor of Aryamehr University. He also founded the Iranian Academy of Philosophy and served as its first president. Since 1984, Professoer Nasr has been University Professor of Islamic Studies at the George Washington University in Washington, D.C. and President of the Foundation for Traditional Studies.
Professor Nasr has written over twenty-five books and five hundred articles in Persian, English, Arabic, and French. His works have been translated into many languages including German, Spanish, Bosnian, Turkish, and Urdu. Perhaps his most important contribution, however, is three generations of scholars he has trained in the course of his forty–year scholarly career in Iran and the West.
Presently, Seyyed Hossein Nasr leads an extremely active intellectual life with a very busy schedule of teaching at the university and lecturing at many institutions in America and around the world, writing scholarly works, being involved in several intellectual projects simultaneously and meeting individuals who are interested in his works and share with him his intellectual and spiritual interests and choices.
At the same time, he leads a very intense spiritual life spent in prayer, meditation and contemplation and also providing spiritual counsel for those who seek his advice and guidance. Exiled from his homeland, Seyyed Hossein Nasr has found his home in the inviolable and sacred Center which is neither in the East nor the West.
Publications and further reading
Professor Nasr is the author of numerous books including:
- Man and Nature: the Spiritual Crisis of Modern Man (Kazi Publications, 1998)
- Religion and the Order of Nature (Oxford, 1996)
- Knowledge and the Sacred (SUNY, 1989)
- An Annotated Bibliography of Islamic Science. 3 vols. (with William C. Chittick) (Tehran, 1975-91)
- Science and Civilization in Islam (Harvard University Press, 1968)
- An Introduction to Islamic Cosmological Doctrines: Conceptions of Nature and Methods Used for its Study by the Ikhwan al-Saf, al-Biruni, and Ibn Sina (Harvard University Press, 1964).
- Hossein Nasr (from Wikipedia,last modified on 6 April 2009).
- Website of The Seyyed Hossein Nasr Foundation.
- Beacon of Knowledge: A Conference Honoring Professor Seyyed Hossein Nasr.
- The Philosophy of Seyyed Hossein Nasr, Library of Living Philosophers, Volume XXVIII, edited by Randall Auxier. Chicago/La Salle, Illinois: Open Court Publishing Company, 2001.
- University Professor Seyyed Hossein Nasr Wins Award for Best Course in America in Science And Religion (Press release by George Washington University, October 7, 1997).
- Encounters with Islam and Nature: Downloadable interview with Nasr regarding Islam and the environment (June 15, 2007).
* This short biography was reworked and augmented from the website of Nasr Foundation (source); it was revised approved by Professor Nasr.